UPC Serif Fonts Menu Top Menu Right Text Only
Donate to UPC
Uganda Peoples Congress
Plot 8-10 Kampala Road, Uganda House,
P. O. Box 9206, Kampala
Juba Peace Deal
Embargoed for release at 11.00am, 26th March 2008
Where is the Sincerity in the Juba Peace Deal?
The government of the Republic of Uganda and the LRA delegation is set to sign a final peace agreement on or between 28th March and 3rd of April. Uganda Peoples Congress welcomes and appreciates all efforts and resources invested towards the realisation of peace in Northern Uganda and Uganda.
As the event in Juba nears to conclusion, UPC urges both parties to embrace Honesty and Truthfulness in the realisation of a genuine peace deal. Dishonesty, peddling lies and creating an atmosphere of suspicion which has characterized the peace process should be discarded. More concrete confidence building measures leading to implementation of the peace accord should be put in place.
The Uganda Peoples Congress proposes that for a peace deal to hold upon both parties signing the government of Uganda should:
- Put in place special courts to try war crimes of both the LRA and UPDF
- Undertake in the final peace agreement to initiate the process of withdrawal of indictments and arrest warrants from the ICC
- Undertake within the final peace agreement to move the UN Council Security and ICC to suspend the Indictments
- Facilitate and consent to the deployment of a neutral African Union Force to guarantee security to people returning to their villages and the former LRA combatants to be demobilised or tried in the special court in Uganda.
- The people of Northern Uganda who are anxious for peace need some guarantee for a peace dividend. The International Community should offer the much needed guarantee.
For God and my Country
Mama Miria Kalule Obote
President, Uganda Peoples Congress